Do I Need a New EIN If I Move As A Corporation to a Different State?

Creating a corporation is no small task. On top of having to have a business model, operations hierarchy, staff members, products/services and clients, you also need to legally form your entity. Following tax and business rules can seem complicated and bring their own set of challenges, especially when moving from state to state. If your corporation is moving to a different state, you may be wondering if you need a new EIN in order to keep legally running your business.

The short answer is no. As long as you have taken all of the appropriate steps to set up and register your business properly, you shouldn’t have to apply for a new EIN when moving across state lines. You should, however, make sure to update your contact information and address once the move is complete.

Reasons Why You Might Need to File for a New EIN

First, it’s important to note that a restructure of the business entity for which you have a tax ID is usually the main reason for needing a new EIN. Aside from that, here are the changes that would need to happen to your corporation in order to necessitate a new EIN number:

      You change your tax status

      You are a subsidiary of a corporation and have been previously using the parent company’s EIN

      You become a subsidiary

      You receive a new charter

      You are a part of a new corporation by way of a merger

Additional EIN Questions

While there are some reasons why you’d need to apply for a new EIN online, moving states is not one of them. Fortunately, keeping your business up to date and legal (from a filing standpoint) is quite simple with the help of the professionals at If you have any other questions about tax IDs or how to apply for them, contact the IRS EIN Tax ID Filing Service for more information!



About the author

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *